Education is one of the keys to having a happy life. All of us like to learn new things, especially if it’s about topics that interest us. Education helps us gain skills so that we can do the kind of work we enjoy and have a sense of satisfaction. Sometimes we have to learn things we may not be so interested in or things that are not be where our talent lies. That helps us too, in the long-run, so stick with it. Those skills will help you and what you learn will make you a more open-minded person. So please stay in school and get your high school diploma or G.E.D. Then think about going to college or to a vocational school. Contact your school district (they’re listed below) to enroll. If you need help with homework or with filling our college applications, resources for those are below too.
Special helpful information for homeless students in the Newport School District and connect it to http://newportschools.schoolwires.net/23091010601323237/site/default.asp
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act guarantees students the right to:
- Stay in the school they last attended when permanently housed or last school enrolled. Students are allowed to stay in this school through the remainder of the school year.
- Immediately enroll, attend classes and participate fully in school activities in the area where they are living - even when lacking proof of residency, immunization, medical or school records, or other documents usually required by schools.
- Have transportation to their “school of origin” provided or arranged by the school district.
- Access all school services including free school meals, Special Education and Title 1 services, Vocational and Technical classes, Gifted and Talented services and after school programs provided by the District.
- Enroll in their school of choice and have disagreements on school choice settled quickly, staying in their school of choice until the disagreement is settled.
- Meet the high academic achievement standards expected of all students.
- Each State educational agency shall ensure that each child of a homeless individual and each homeless youth has equal access to the same free, appropriate public education, including a public preschool education, as provided to other children and youth.
- School districts must also:
- send records to a new school district regardless of fines owed;
- disregard absences if they are caused by homelessness
- enroll a child at the request of the child or parent or guardian.
Local School Districts
Newport School District http://http://www.newport.wednet.edu/
Selkirk School District http://www.selkirk.k12.wa.us/
Cusick School District http://www.cusick.wednet.edu/site/
West Bonner School District http://www.westbonnerschools.org/
Central Valley School District http://www.cvsd.org/
Deer Park School District http://www.dpsd.org/
East Valley School District http://www.evsd.org/
Mead School District http://www.mead354.org/
Riverside School District http://www.riversidesd.org/main
Spokane Public Schools http://www.spokaneschools.org/
West Valley School District http://www.wvsd.com/
Pend Oreille County Library http://pocld.org/
Chegg Study http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/
Web Math http://www.webmath.com/
History Channel http://www.history.com/home.do
Discovery Channel http://www.discovery.com/
Wikipedia Encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
Encarta Encyclopedia http://encarta.msn.com/
World Atlas http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/world.htm
Online dictionary http://www.m-w.com/
Online encyclopedia http://www.britannica.com/
Online thesaurus http://thesaurus.reference.com/
College Applications & Scholarships
College Board http://www.collegeboard.com/splash/
Community Colleges of Spokane http://www.ccs.spokane.edu/
Eastern Washington University http://www.ewu.edu/Home.xml
Ultimate FAFSA Resource Guide http://www.smartscholar.com/fafsa-guide/
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
Financial Aid & Scholarships http://www.finaid.org/
Governor’s Scholarship http://www.collegesuccessfoundation.org/gs/index.htm
Scholarship Programs http://www.voaspokane.org/Services/Homelessness/Scholarship-Programs
Turnaround Scholarship http://www.voaspokane.org/Services/Homelessness/Scholarship-Programs/Turnaround-Scholarship
Trent-Gillespie Scholarship http://www.voaspokane.org/Services/Homelessness/Scholarship-Programs/Trent-Gillespie-Scholarship
Rural Resources Jobs
Rural Resources Community Action
Washington State Coalition for the Homeless
Pend Oreille County Employment
Washington State Coalition for the Homeless
Volunteers of America Eastern Washington & Northern Idaho
Homeless Student Rights in Washington State
State of Washington Homeless Education Office
Alone Without A Home: A State-by-State Review of Laws Affecting Unaccompanied Youth